This post contains affiliate links. As an amazon associate, I earn affiliate commission, from qualifying purchases.
Looking for the best hand saw for cutting firewood? Choose the one with high carbon steel material and the right size. Further, choose the one with the sharp and sturdy blade.
Are you the one who often has to some woodwork? If so, the best hand saw for cutting wood is essential for you. It can satisfy all your cutting needs. However, you have to make sure you have the hand saw for cutting firewood. The best hand saw for cutting wood is the one that is sharp and sturdy.
You may find it challenging to choose the best among the pool of handsaws in the market. Don’t worry; we’re here to help you. In this article, we’ve reviewed the top 10 handsaws so that you can find the best handsaw for cutting tree trunks and plywood.
Table of Contents
10 Best handsaws for cutting firewood reviews
Here’re the top 10 handsaws for cutting firewood, plywood, and hardwood. Pick the one that attracts you the more, and get ready to work.
1. Hooyman Extendable Tree Saw with Wrist Lanyard
If you’re working with wood, this hand saw can be an integral part of your professional life. With a 5 feet extension, it makes working with logs and branches at height. Moreover, you can fold it into a compact size of only 12 inches. So, you can easily carry it.
The I-beam aluminum material provides durability to your Hooyman extendable hand saw. Additionally, it has a locking system to allow the pole to stay out. Thus, you can complete the complex tasks of cutting hard-to-reach branches safely.
Another fantastic feature of this blade is its high-grade blade. The high carbon SK5 steel construction of the blade is perfect for cutting the stubborn branches. Additionally, the 4-edge tooth makes the process of cutting branches easy for you. With the saw’s Megabite design, you can easily move the saw forward and backward through the branches and truck.
The in-line design of the Hooyman handsaw makes it versatile to use. You can use it with a pole by sliding and locking it into the extension arm. However, if you need to use only a handsaw, you can also detach it.
- The versatile design allows you to use it with a pole and as a hand saw.
- Durable saw tooth and blade will enable you to cut all types of branches.
- Its locking system makes it easy to use for you.
- Extension up to 12 feet allows you to cut hard to reach branches.
- Locking system for safety
- Precise cutting due to high carbon steel blade
- Diversity in use as hand saw and extension saw
- Don’t have a long saw blade
2. WilFiks 16″ Pro Hand Saw
To complete your daily woodworking projects, WilFiks hand saw is perfect. Either you’re a farmer, woodworker, or a general contractor; it’s the best hand saw for cutting tree trunks. It offers you precise cutting opportunities, including tenons, miters, and dovetails.
A 16-inch 9 TPI high carbon steel blade provides cutting efficiency 50% higher than others. Fast cutting doesn’t mean you would get rough-cutting edges. Never; it has induction-hardened teeth for smooth and sharp cuts. Moreover, these teeth are five-times durable than the standard teeth.
It has an anti-slip grip handle that provides you grip. Thus, it allows you to complete your job with integrity. You can cut plastic pipe, plywood, wallboard, and many other materials with this. Above all, you can get the manipulation privilege with its portable design.
- This handsaw comes with two blades, ensuring you fast cutting and safety.
- With deep gullets, you can get fast removal of chips.
- Its efficient teeth allow you to have quick and smooth cutting.
- An anti-slip handle adds comfort to your cutting sessions.
- Lightweight and compact design
- Smooth and quick cuts
- Don’t have a carrying case
3. SUIZAN Japanese Pull Saw Hand Saw
Have something to cut? Consider Suizan Japanese hand saw for superior performance. The unique thing about this saw is it’s a pull saw. Actually, it uses the pull method rather than the push method for cutting. Pull saws are always lightweight and need less power for cutting. Additionally, you’ll get cleaner edges after cutting with a Suizan pull saw.
To make the sharp cuts, it comes with top-quality Japanese steel. Moreover, its blades are removable so that you can interchange them whenever you want. To summarize, it makes your life easier by providing you with the opportunity to do diverse woodworking.
- It’s a pulling saw. So, it’s lightweight and easy to use.
- Sharp blades with Japanese steel offer cleaner edges with sharp cuts.
- Diversity in its functions makes your life easier.
- Have removable blades, giving you a free hand to change them anytime.
- Needs less power
- Smooth cut
- Cleaner edges
- The handle is not comfortable
4. Silky Zubat Professional Curved Hand Saw
Are you looking for maximum performance? If so, this saw is for you. Silky Zubat is the choice of professionals and is the best handsaw for woodworking. Actually, it has a mono-constructed blade to provide you with clean cutting with little effort.
The Silky professional carries exceptional blades. Their full-tang blades stay stable during cutting. Moreover, there is a secure interface between blade and handle. This interface keeps the risk of breakage away.
The large teeth of this hand saw 330mm thick are true definitions of flexibility and strength. Above all, it has a dual-roller entry system to have a safe entry to the scabbard.
When it comes to its handling, you will see an exception grip. Its non-slip handle can absorb all the vibrations and will never let you get tired. Moreover, only 0.65lb weight also makes it easy to use.
- Full tang blades that provide you with stability during cutting.
- Dual-roller entry system to guide your blades in the right direction.
- High-grade Japanese steel makes it durable, offering you a saw for long-term use.
- High-quality handle that absorbs vibration. As a result, you’ll get a comfortable grip.
- Lock system for safety
- Suitable for large branches
- Smooth and sharp cutting
- No straps with sheath
5. Corona RS 7510D RazorTOOTH
While exploring for the handsaw for cutting wood, Corona will never disappoint you. One of their best handsaws is Corona RS 7510D. It comes with huge blades of 18″ that is much larger than traditional ones. With this long blade, you can easily cut the branches that are 9-10″ in diameter. So, you can easily use this handsaw for trimming densely grown branches.
When it comes to sawteeth, they are specifically designed for sharpness. They have edges on three sides for cutting wood with maximum efficiency. Besides efficiency, no one can compete with the Corona 7510 in strength. The high carbon SK5 steel in blades is the reason for its strength.
Durability is another feature for making it superior. You can use it for several seasons because of its heat-treated blade and impulse-hardened teeth. In the end, its chrome-finished blade is best for providing a smooth and neat cut.
- Razor TOOTH saw technology allows you to cut branches with 9-10″ diameter.
- Triple ground teeth offer you exceptional sharpness.
- Japanese SK5 steel makes the blade strong, offering a smooth cut.
- The chrome finish of the blade also aims at providing you with smooth cut wood.
- Long blade
- Extra sharpness with TOOTH saw technology
- Blades are not replaceable
6. Silky Folding Landscaping Hand Saw
This saw is a multipurpose saw, even the best handsaw for plywood and hardwood cutting. The reason is a 9-1/2-inch blade, offering a very smooth cut. Either you’re a woodworker or a gardener, you would definitely love it.
With its sharp teeth, it can cut both dry and greenwood. It has 6-teeth per inch, ensuring dense placement of teeth for effective cutting. Additionally, it found its use both for a cross-cut and as a trim saw. The fantastic technology for providing a smooth cut is Silky MIRAI-ME technology.
When it comes to usability, it’s safe and comfortable to use. Rubber-padded handles enhance your grip and make it comfortable to use. In the same way, a blade lock loaded with spring makes the firewood cutting safe for you. So, it’s an excellent handsaw for hardwood cutting.
It’s lightweight with only 0.6lb of wright. Further, it comes with a durable storage case. Both of these features make it perfect for carrying it on a camping tour.
- Rubber padded handle and blade lock make it comfortable and safe to use.
- Its storage case and lightweight allow taking it with you on a camping tour.
- With a 9-1/2″ blade, you can meet your diverse cutting needs.
- Silky MIRAI-ME technology helps you to have a faster and smooth cut.
- Smooth cut like butter
- Easy to carry
- Easy to clean chrome steel blade
- Easy to snap blade
7. Corona RS16290 RazorTOOTHRaker Saw
This handsaw by Corona is the actual mix of efficiency, smoothness, and durability. You would not have to compromise on any of your needs. With its 21″ blade, you can easily cut larger branches and limbs. And the three sided razor teeth support them in doing so by providing a multi-faceted cutting angle.
Moreover, the durability of this handsaw comes with three things. First is its impulse-hardened teeth that enhance the shelf life. Further, you will never find a decrease in tooth sharpness after multiple cuts.
Second is its tempered steel alloy construction that will not allow it to break during cutting activities. And the third is a hard chrome layer that reduces friction and avoids rusting. As a result, you don’t only get durability but also ease to use.
With its non-slip D-shaped handle, you can get a comfortable grip during cutting. Best of all, the raker tooth pattern provides the self-cleaning feature to this saw. This feature keeps the blade clean, saving your time and effort of cleaning during cutting.
- The large blade with three sided razor teeth allow cutting larger branches and limbs
- Impulse hardened teeth never allow the sharpness to decrease, enhancing the shelf life.
- The chrome layer on the blade prevents rusting, increasing its life.
- Raker tooth pattern offers a self-cleaning feature, saving your time and energy.
- Self-cleaning blade
- Handle with enhanced grip
- It comes with a cardboard sheath
8. Folding Saw, Heavy Duty 11 Inch Extra Long Blade Hand Saw
Either you need to cut firewood, plywood, or hardwood, this heavy-duty handsaw is will win in every race. REXBETI folding saw comes with an 11″ long blade, perfect for pruning and camping woodworking. You can cut branches with 6″ – 7″ diameter easily with it.
When extended, its 22 inches length allows you to cut wood, bone, and plastic. This REXBETI folding saw comes with a 7 TPI design. It means that it has seven teeth per inch that will make it perfect for aggressive woodwork. These teeth are hardened to enhance longevity and provide smooth sawing.
Moreover, SK-5 steel made the blade of this saw durable. So, you will experience a smooth, sharp, and fast cut with this.
When it comes to handling, it’s comfortable. It’s due to the rubber-coated polymer in the handle design. This polymer allows you to use the handsaw in any weather condition.
- SK-5 steel makes its blade sharp and durable, providing you with an efficient cut.
- The rubber-coated polymer makes its handle comfortable to use.
- 7TPI blade makes it perfect for a sharp cut.
- Its 22″ blade allows you to perform diverse cutting activities.
- Easy to fold
- Comfortable handle
- Staggered teeth
- Less durable
9. Silky Professional BIGBOY 2000 Folding Saw XL Teeth
Silky professional offers not only performance but also ergonomic design. You can have a firm grip on its handle to have an efficient cut. Additionally, you can fold its blade easily. So, you can easily store it in any toolbox, compartment, and pocket, and storage case.
The steel blade is lightweight as it features carbon steel. Thus, you can easily cut the smooth cut even through the more rigid objects. It will never get stuck in the tree branches and trunk, making it the best handsaw for cutting tree trunks.
When it comes to construction, it features all the essential design items. For instance, high-quality SK4 high-carbon steel makes its blade up to 1.4 mm thick. To further improve efficiency, its blade’s teeth are impulse hardened and taper-ground. Moreover, its blade is about 14 1/5″, perfect for cutting the largest branches.
To provide smooth cutting, it features Japanese cutting technology. With this technology, you can have a much better and smooth cutting experience. Besides smoother cutting, its blade’s teeth are durable and harder than any other conventional hand saw teeth.
You can use this SiIky professional handsaw for multiple purposes. For example, you can use it for trimming, pruning, cutting, and lawn maintenance. It’s the best handsaw to have in your toolkit no matter what type of cutting you needed daily.
- Japanese cutting technology offers you a smoother and sharper cut.
- Impulse hardening technology provides durability to the blade’s teeth.
- 14 1/5″ blade length allows you to cut large branches.
- It comes with SK4 carbon steel and 1.4mm thickness, providing you improved cutting experience.
- Japanese cutting technology
- Handle that provide a firm grip
- Fast cutting action for green branches
- Needs improvement in the sheath
10. BAHCO PC-24-TIM 24 Inch Professional Cut Timber Saw
BAHCO 24 inch professional cut handsaw comes with a 24″ blade length perfect handsaw for cutting for firewood. You will have a faster cutting experience with 3 1/2 teeth per inch on its blade. Moreover, the super-sharp GT toothing will enhance the cutting performance beyond your expectations.
Another best feature of BAHCO professional is its 3-sided ground tooth. So, it’s the best handsaw for the fast cutting of branches and limbs. While cutting, you would also have a firm grip on it as it carries a comfortable handle.
- 24″ blade length allows you to cut larger branches.
- Two-component handle to provide you with a comfortable grip.
- Three-sided teeth will enable you to cut any wood.
- Sharp GT toothing offers you enhanced cutting performance.
- Sharp GT toothing
- Three sided ground teeth
- Long blade saw
Buyer’s guide of a handsaw for cutting firewood
Several types of handsaws in the market make it hard for you to choose the right one. That’s why we have come up with a detailed buying guide to make the decision easy for you.
- Blade material:
Recently, carbon steel is the best material for making saw blades. The more the carbon content in the steel, the harder would be blade. So, always buy a handsaw that has a carbon steel blade, ensuring hardness and effectiveness.
Moreover, if the blade has a chrome coating, it’s also better. It will act as a protective layer from rust, making it durable and have a longer shelf life.
TPI stands for teeth per inch. Actually, it’s the number of teeth per inch of the blade. Higher the TPI faster would be the cutting. If you want to cut firewood or hardwood, a TPI of 1 to 10 per inch is perfect. This TPI is aggressive and provides you a beautiful, refined, and smoother finish.
TPI in the range of 7 to 10 works best to provide precision. However, it would be best if you look for a handsaw with a higher TPI.
An increase in the thickness of the blade will enhance the weight of the handsaw. As a result, it would be difficult for you to handle the handsaw during the cutting.
On the contrary, a thin blade is lightweight and offers a faster cut. However, make sure, blade is not too thin to be bent and break easily. The handsaw you’re considering should have at least 1.5mm thickness. Keep in mind; thickness also depends on your body weight and fitness condition.
Handle decides your grip on the handsaw. A good and comfortable handle should have the following features: It should
- Be curved like your palm to provide comfortable handling.
- Have enough space so that your fingers can quickly grab it.
- Have anti-slippery material for enhanced grip.
- Contain at least two screws for connecting the handle and blade to ensure safety.
If the handsaw has all the features mentioned above, it’s worth buying.
- Size of the blade:
The most important feature that needs to be considered is the size of the blade. You should never select a hand saw with a blade length shorter than the wood you want to cut. In the same way, using a handsaw with a longer blade length is also not advisable. It will bend easily.
So, it would be better to choose a blade length according to your needs.
Can I cut wood without a saw?
Yes, you can chop the wood without a saw. Here’re some methods that you can use:
- Use a sharp knife to cut small chips.
- Use a drill and make multiple holes in the wood. After that, follow those holes to cut the wood.
- Use a sharp axe.
- Cut the wood choosing chisel.
Can I use a reciprocating saw for cutting firewood?
Yes, you can. A reciprocating saw can cut medium-sized firewood. However, if you want to cut pieces with small diameters, you can use a chainsaw.
Can I cut plywood with a handsaw?
Yes, you can cut the plywood with a handsaw. For plywood, you need a saw that can cut the wood as well as can rip. Hand saw has an optimized design to do both at the same time. Moreover, you can also get a power saw with a carbide-tipped blade that would work the best.
How can I maintain my handsaw?
If you want to use a specific handsaw for a longer time, you can follow these tips.
- Keep the handsaw away from the moisture. As it’s made of steel so there are chances that rust can invade it.
- If handsaw has a wooden handle, you need to be extra careful. Use oil when it comes dry or scratched. Never forget to remove the dust from it.
- You can use a razor or 320-grit sandpaper for the removal of rust.
Knowing the importance of a handsaw, it’s essential to have an efficient one in your toolbox. That’s we’ve reviewed some top handsaws. It’ll help you to choose the best handsaw for cutting firewood. You can use all these saws for diverse purposes. For instance, you can use it for pruning, trimming, and cutting wood and plastic. However, while choosing the handsaw, make sure you’re picking the one with suitable material and the right size.
Former F&B manager in the Hilton hotel. As a hotel management professional, he is having a wide verity of knowledge on travel and tourism. He loves to write to us and share his experience with our valuable readers.