This post contains affiliate links. As an amazon associate, I earn affiliate commission, from qualifying purchases.
Owning for wireless security camera, but it is very important to know how to power a wireless security camera. Three different ways to power wireless security cameras according to their application.
A security camera is something that should be running at all times. You may need the video of your premises at any time. Therefore, your security camera should have the power input all time. A wireless security camera is excellent in this aspect and doesn’t need an electrical power system to get power.
In this article, we will discuss what wireless security cameras are and how to power wireless security cameras? Not only this, but you would also learn to install a wireless security camera. Let’s begin.
Table of Contents
What are wireless security cameras?
A wireless camera is free from any cable for data transmission from camera to receiver. You can connect these cameras to either Wi-Fi or other internet sources to transmit information. Thus, you can see video footage from anywhere, even from your smartphone. Above all, they are easier to install and have no placement issue. You just have to unplug it and can go anywhere.
On the other hand, there are some disadvantages associated with wireless surveillance cameras. Like, signal loss due to weather conditions or interference from other devices is a prevalent issue. You can also say that connection disruption due to these issues means no security update.
How to power a wireless security camera?
Wireless security cameras have eliminated the tangled transmission cable. But, they still need energy to get powered. Three different ways to power your wireless security camera are:
- Electrically powered wireless security cameras
- Battery-powered wireless security cameras
- Solar-powered wireless security cameras
Electrically powered wireless security cameras
Wireless security camera means no need for cable for data transmission. However, you still need a cable to plug the security camera into an electrical power socket- that’s how to power wireless security cameras.
As we know that an effective security system is always active. It doesn’t rely on any motion to be functional. That’s why electrically powered wireless security cameras are best to have continuous power. Moreover, a steady energy flow effectively powers the infrared lights all night for better and long-range night vision. So, if you are going to install a wireless security camera on the front door of your home, consider the distance between the power plug and the camera.
- No need for maintenance as required for wire-free security cameras
- They provide long-range night vision.
- The recording on electrically powered security is not motion-sensitive.
Battery-Powered wireless security cameras
Battery-powered wireless security cameras are true wire-free cameras. They don’t require any kind of cable for charging as well as transmission. Batteries are the source of power for such cameras. So, battery-powered wireless security cameras are best to use in a location with no electrical power source.
A battery-powered wireless camera operates on some motion to save battery charging. On the other hand, your camera battery may run out when you need it the most. So, you would have to take care of the battery charging. Meanwhile, you can stay updated about the battery percentage of your wireless security camera through software.
- They are portable; you can take it anywhere you want very quickly.
- They don’t require messy cables.
Solar-powered wireless security cameras
Solar-powered wireless security cameras are best if you want to have wireless surveillance system in an inaccessible location. You just need a solar panel to collect power and a battery to store energy.
There are two types of solar-powered security cameras available.
- One with panel built-in into the camera with no requirement of a separate solar panel.
- Another one is the wireless security camera with a separate solar panel. It is a regular camera with a separate solar panel to provide the required energy.
At night, when there is no light, there is an option for rechargeable batteries. Light from the sun will recharge these batteries during the day. So, these batteries can give power to wireless outdoor security cameras at night.
Advantages of solar-powered security camera
· They can be installed in inaccessible locations.
· They don’t need any power grid.
· They minimize environmental impact.
How to install a wireless security system at home?
One of the most significant advantages of a wireless best outdoor security camera is its most comfortable installing system. You can easily install it yourself in your home, garden, or office as it doesn’t require any special tools or accessories. So, take a long breathe, have confidence in yourself, and follow these steps to install a wireless security system.
1) Decide the location where you want to install your wireless camera. Try to install it on a higher point to prevent your wireless camera from intruders and have a wider range for surveillance.
2) Mark the screw spaces with a pencil while holding the mounting bracket against the chosen location.
3) Drill the holes into the wall.
4) Align the screw holes of the mounting bracket with the holes in the wall, and insert screws tightly. Before installing the camera, make sure the bracket is safe.
5) Fit the camera into a bracket with all its batteries.
6) Camera is ready to work; follow the manual instruction to connect your wireless camera with the receiver.
So, how to power wireless security cameras dramatically depend on the camera’s need and application. For instance, if you need continuous surveillance without any interruption, electrically powered wireless cameras are best. If you need to change your residence repeatedly, battery-powered wireless outdoor security cameras are best. Similarly, if you want to inaccessible surveillance places, solar-powered security can be the best choice.
I hope this article has given you enough information to choose a power source for your wireless security system according to your needs.
Former F&B manager in the Hilton hotel. As a hotel management professional, he is having a wide verity of knowledge on travel and tourism. He loves to write to us and share his experience with our valuable readers.